Episode #43: MP - Quick Tip for Easier Transitions


Welcome to another episode of my mini-podcasts. This one is particularly brief and I hope, particularly helpful. Most autists have some difficulty transitioning from one thing to another and may need some support to do so successfully. Listen in to a quick and easy tip that can make it easier.


I had to laugh the other day when I was trying to remember why I walked from one room to another. You know, I am of THAT age now. So I went back to the location in my house where I started to try to remind myself of what I was doing. When I figured it out, I thought to myself, how can I stay focused on my goal this time?


My goal had been that I had needed to call someone but needed the phone number from a piece of paper I had in my bedroom. So I decided to bring the phone with me and keep it in my hand. This reminded me why I was walking from one room to another. Seems simple, right? And it worked great.

Well, this is exactly what you can do with and for autistic children, teens and adults when you are helping them transition from one thing to another. Autistic individuals may not fully trust your words alone. Auditory processing, afterall, is pretty typically challenging for most people on spectrum.


So next time you are helping someone come to the table for dinner, consider handing a cup or a spoon to them and have them bring it to the table.


Or you want to have them join you for a puzzle, bring a puzzle piece to them to then put in the puzzle in the other room.


And if you're like me, and you have trouble remembering or keeping the goal in mind for yourself, consider this simple little tip for yourself.


To learn about auditory processing, autism and more, stay tuned for my book, Seeing Autism, coming out this Summer.


Thank you for listening and here’s to using 3D objects to transition yourself or someone else successfully.


Till next time….

For more information, please go to my website at www.synergyautismcenter.com and stay tuned for my upcoming book: Seeing Autism due out this Summer (2021)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Episode #65: Let's Talk Inclusion For ALL

Episode #19: Regulation is Required for Curiosity to Thrive

Episode #13: BEHAVIOR BABBLE! Home Versus School Behaviors with Pam Smith